Geo redundant OSS database

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Fri Jan 20 09:09:08 MST 2012

On 1/19/12 10:04 PM, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience working with PostgreSQL or MySQL in a
> geo redundant configuration (replication/clustering)?  I see that
> MySQL has MySQL Cluster
> (http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/)--which is their "Carrier
> Grade" offering.  Looks compelling.  I know that PostgreSQL (>=
> version 9) has clustering as well, but I'm not sure how feature
> complete it is.  I'm interested in any insights you might have.

Percona XtraDB Cluster (an enterprise MySQL fork) has that:

http://www.percona.com/software/percona-xtradb-cluster/
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2012/01/11/making-the-impossible-3-nodes-intercontinental-replication/
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2012/01/17/xtradb-cluster-feature-1-high-availability/
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2012/01/19/percona-xtradb-cluster-feature-2-multi-master-replication/

It's not recommended for production use yet, but will be soon.  Their
stuff is really high quality, so when they say it's ready for production
I would trust it.  It's probably ready for testing.

For cloud use, this looks pretty cool.  I haven't used it, and can't
vouch for the company, but they've had some good reviews.

http://xeround.com/

Steve