Geo redundant OSS database

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:04:50 MST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pluggers,
>
> Has anyone had any experience working with PostgreSQL or MySQL in a
> geo redundant configuration (replication/clustering)?  I see that
> MySQL has MySQL Cluster
> (http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/)--which is their "Carrier
> Grade" offering.  Looks compelling.  I know that PostgreSQL (>=
> version 9) has clustering as well, but I'm not sure how feature
> complete it is.  I'm interested in any insights you might have.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bryan

Not sure how Postgres stacks up anymore, it's been awhile since I've
seen any call for it, but SimpleRDS from Amazon is a geo redundant
MySQL DB cluster you can configure & deploy pretty quickly.  I've
never been the one to pay the bill for it so I'm not sure how the
accounting on it works, but one client mentioned they were saving big
bucks after deployment because they weren't being charged for a
running instance, just how much compute time it takes to process the
DB transactions.  (I may be wrong on that because I swear I helped the
client with SimpleDB not SimpleRDS, in case anyone would like to fact
check me on that.)  Regardless, once configured fail over and recovery
are basically automatic, with 0 downtime needed for backups etc.
My experience with it thus far has been much better than even the more
straight forward configurations that I used to configure & deploy for
clients.  In the entire time I've been using it I haven't had a
downtime issue that has effected a client.

SimpleDB is supposedly a thin veneer over MySQL Cluster, so I would
assume it wouldn't be that much harder to configure & deploy by hand
if you're not looking for a hosted solution.