problem installing linux on raid6 ibm x3850 (Michael Torrie)

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at
Thu Jan 19 21:33:44 MST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at> wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 06:54 PM, Make Compile wrote:
>> Thanks for the replied. I've been trying to install Centos 5 on that
>> IBM x3850. The machine before already have linux installed on it.
>> recently we just need to reformat the machine for stating purposes.
>> in line on that, we encountered that error while installing centos 5
>> after configuring the machine to used RAID6.
> Unfortunately since you didn't actually answer questions about your
> server, it's hard to point you in the right direction.

I believe it's possible he may not have understood what was being
asked.  The IBM x3850 appears to support Raid 6 out of the box with an
optional controller card that is one of ServeRAID M5014, 15 or 25
At least according to IBM

The answer is you need to locate the appropriate driver for the RAID
controller driver and this means you'll need to contact IBM and ask
for the RHEL driver/kernel module for your particular controller.