problem installing linux on raid6 ibm x3850 (Michael Torrie)

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:33:44 MST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 06:54 PM, Make Compile wrote:
>> Thanks for the replied. I've been trying to install Centos 5 on that
>> IBM x3850. The machine before already have linux installed on it.
>> recently we just need to reformat the machine for stating purposes.
>> in line on that, we encountered that error while installing centos 5
>> after configuring the machine to used RAID6.
>
> Unfortunately since you didn't actually answer questions about your
> server, it's hard to point you in the right direction.

I believe it's possible he may not have understood what was being
asked.  The IBM x3850 appears to support Raid 6 out of the box with an
optional controller card that is one of ServeRAID M5014, 15 or 25
At least according to IBM http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0817.html

The answer is you need to locate the appropriate driver for the RAID
controller driver and this means you'll need to contact IBM and ask
for the RHEL driver/kernel module for your particular controller.