problem installing linux on raid6 ibm x3850 (Michael Torrie)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:53:29 MST 2012

On 01/19/2012 06:54 PM, Make Compile wrote:
> Thanks for the replied. I've been trying to install Centos 5 on that
> IBM x3850. The machine before already have linux installed on it.
> recently we just need to reformat the machine for stating purposes.
> in line on that, we encountered that error while installing centos 5
> after configuring the machine to used RAID6.

Unfortunately since you didn't actually answer questions about your
server, it's hard to point you in the right direction.

What chipset is this RAID 6 controller?  I assume it's some form of
hardware RAID6.

What OS was installed before.  You say "Linux" but was it CentOS 5?

In all likelihood the problem is simply that the kernel of the CentOS 5
installer doesn't support your chipset.  This could be because the
version of the installer kernel is too old, or maybe your chipset is not
supported by kernel source drivers.  If it's the former, if you can
bootstrap the system somehow using a different OS (say Fedora) and
populate the disk with CentOS files and an upgraded kernel, that may
work.   If it's the latter, I'd say consult your vendor. They might have
special drivers for RHEL.