It Worked [Was: Wikipedia Blackout (& work around)]

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:22:02 MST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Jared Ottley <jottley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 18, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Barry Roberts wrote:

>> for

>> Party affiliation should not be required to vote in a primary.  If I am an
>> independent, I shouldn't be required to register for a party in order to
>> vote for/against someone.
>>

> I was assuming Mr. Esplin believes that, my question is why?  Why shouldn't
> a party be allowed to choose what it thinks is the best candidate?  Why
> should it be forced to allow its opposition to vote for the weakest
> candidate to strengthen their own party?

Well the simplest answer to that lies in who is the representative
elected to represent and how does someone form a party and how does
one get on the ballot.

In Utah to get on the ballot you needs tens of thousands of
signatures.  So many that there are in some cases more signatures
required than there are people in the voting district.  To form a
political party you need even more.

An elected representative is not supposed to be elected to serve his
or her party interests, they are supposed to be elected to serve the
interests of their constituency.  This is why the founding fathers
warned us against the formation of political parties.

In the United States of America, political parties are supposed to
simply be shorthand for a subscribed belief system.  That is if I am a
democrat I am declaring that I subscribe to one set of beliefs, if I
am a republican then I am declaring that I subscribe to a different
set of beliefs (although they may not necessarily be mutually
exclusive).  Regardless of my beliefs, I as an elected representative
am supposed to represent the best interests of my constituency, even
when they are in conflict with my own personal beliefs.  (Note:  I am
not running for office I am merely declared what ought to be self
evident).