estimating projects

Wade Preston Shearer wadeshearer.lists at me.com
Wed Jan 11 09:19:55 MST 2012

As we have been discussing the merits of various scales here at work (as we try to select one), something we have run into is whether the scale should be linear or not.

Using Pivotal Tracker, the points for stories are calculated as a velocity. If you use a linear scale, then larger projects don't get calculated as really being much larger.

If project A is a 2 and project B is twice as big, shouldn't it be a 4? Pivotal Tracker has linear as the default scale and seems to encourage you to use that. Mathematically, powers of 2 seems to make more sense though.

Whether you're using Pivotal Tracker or not, what do those with scrum experience recommend?