estimating projects

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 01:44:21 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Wade Preston Shearer
<wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2012, at 22:08, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any opinion or advice on various point scales for estimating software >>development time? I've always done it in hours/days, but am going to try and have my >>team switch to a scale.

Best advice I ever heard and also the most correct thus far in my career.

The amount of time a project will take is inversely proportional to
the budget allotted.

This holds true in all cases except in instances where the budget can
be in the gobzillions  and there is no oversight, such as a government
contract. In which case the amount of time it takes is directly
proportional to the budget divided by the distance between the nose of
your CEO and his congressman's behind.

Therefore the best metric is dollars :)

In all seriousness though if you are getting to the point where you
need to be considering metrics and projections please take a moment
and read "The Mythical Man Month".  It's an incredible read and caused
me to rethink the way I do projects as a whole.  I think it should be
required reading for anyone involved in project management.