remote/local multi-user xwindow question

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Tue Jan 3 17:06:42 MST 2012

On 01/02/2012 07:27 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 06:35 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
>> Obviously, it's their prerogative to do whatever they like with its
>> license, but as a potential user I'm a little hesitant to give it a
>> try when I read things like that.  We've all seen this type of thing
>> poorly executed in the past.
> I always prefer the open source solutions as well.  But when you say "as
> a potential user I'm a little hesitant to give it a try when I read
> things like that" I don't really know what you are talking about.  If
> there's a commercial product that fits my needs well at a cost I like, I
> have no problem buying into it.  As I said, though, none of that applies
> to my suggested solution.

I used to use freenx and found it quirky at times, but overall very
useful.  Then NoMachine changed something with their license on a newer
release, and suddenly freenx wasn't available on debian repos anymore.
I want to say they dropped the GPL, and started providing the new
version as free for personal use (for the server and client), which
killed the greater part of my own usage.  On top of that, they used to
be something like $500 a year for a site license, but when we tried to
get one, they wanted to charge as much as Citrix, so that idea got shot
down too.

I haven't followed them since, are they still around?  We started using
HP's Remote Graphics Station on windows and linux, and the remote
rendering was much better than NoMachine for 3D stuff.  It's fast enough
to do CAD stuff (and probably games) over broadband connections.  I've
played around with VirtualGL a little, and it seems to have 3D
performance comparable to HP RGS.  It doesn't have any remote
audio/samba/print mapping like NoMachine had, and I don't think a remote
USB device would work (for things like remote wacom tablets, etc).  x2go
looks interesting though, I think I'll check that out as another
possible NoMachine replacement.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell