remote/local multi-user xwindow question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:27:42 MST 2012

On 01/02/2012 06:35 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You are describing FreeNX.
>
>>From the site:
> "The core libraries for NX are provided by NoMachine under the GPL."
>
> What, in your experience, does this leave out?

Quite a bit, which is the reason why FreeNX exists.

> Obviously, it's their prerogative to do whatever they like with its
> license, but as a potential user I'm a little hesitant to give it a
> try when I read things like that.  We've all seen this type of thing
> poorly executed in the past.

I always prefer the open source solutions as well.  But when you say "as
a potential user I'm a little hesitant to give it a try when I read
things like that" I don't really know what you are talking about.  If
there's a commercial product that fits my needs well at a cost I like, I
have no problem buying into it.  As I said, though, none of that applies
to my suggested solution.

> Anyway, your thoughts?

I haven't used NoMachine's NX server in years.  I just use FreeNX.  You
just yum install it, copy the appropriate ssh key to the clients and
away you go.  I'm not sure about clients, though.  For that I typically
do use NoMachine's free-to-download-and-use clients.