Network Traffic Visualization

MT Morales uugplug at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:28:33 MST 2012

Another good counter to trend, on physical ports, is interfaces errors,
in/out drops. You could get this information from SNMP queries to the
switch/router.

Netflow data (only available on big rourters/switches) is a great way to
monitor traffic patterns by interface, ip address, application protocol,
QOS, etc. Most tools out there are proprietary and really expensive. I'm
not sure if NTOP (free) has gotten any better yet. At my work I use Netflow
analysis tools to troubleshoot network issues, such as bottlenecks,
bandwidth hoggers, attacks, etc. on a daily basis.

-mtm