Weird glitch/bug with c++ program compiled in Ubuntu? or am I doing something wrong?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:47:52 MST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 06:36 PM, John Shaver wrote:
>> Really, these programs are so tiny and only take like 4 seconds to
>> compile.  Why they need an executable at all when they have the source
>> code is beyond me.
>
> Hmm, that's exploitable in so many ways... :)

Sure, but it would be a particularly bad situation to exploit. :)

It's probably less effort for them to test binaries than source.
Source is often somewhat sensitive to the build environment,
especially if the author is not aware of platform portability issues.
If you submit and it doesn't build or work correctly due to platform
issues, it's trouble for both the grader and for you. Having a
standard platform and binary submission gives a clear standard for
whether the assignment is complete or not.  It's a bit of a bummer
that the standard platform is Windows, but thank goodness for Wine and
mingw32, eh?

Anyway, line endings are just one of the many fun platform
compatibility issues that you will face as a C or C++ programmer.
There are character encoding issues, byte-order issues, data alignment
issues, etc.  None of them are terribly difficult to deal with, but
you have to keep them in mind when writing code you intend to be
portable.

       --Levi