[OT] Getting your developers good harwdare (Was: Apple and dual monitors)

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Mon Feb 13 21:44:49 MST 2012

On 02/12/2012 04:48 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>> Tell them no.  There's no business case for spending 2-3x as much on the
>> hardware to run most likely the same software (or very, very similar).
>> None.  Let me emphasize that: "no business case."
> Here's a business case.
>
> Offering your developers hardware they love (whatever the brand) is a great way to attract good talent. If you "save" your business a couple grand by buying a laptop that your developers don't like, you'll probably end up losing that money many times over in lost productivity.
>
> Developer hardware is no place to skimp. It's so cheap compared to other developer incentives.
>
> If a few thousand dollars of savings per developer makes *any* difference to your business, then your business is in serious trouble.

I have to agree with you 100% here. I was told something similar in a
past life about using a Windows desktop to administer Linux servers. I
went as far as to argue that we didn't force the Windows admins to use
Linux desktops.... Nope, I can (apparently) be just as "productive" with
Putty as I can with Terminator or Konsole, except for every little snafu
in Windows makes me contemplate jumping from the roof to my death at lunch.

Needless to say I didn't stick around very long after that. I figured if
the employer was so out of touch with my job role as to not understand
how something so mundane as my choice of OS could both be a morale
booster, as well as a productivity booster, there was no way they'd ever
get around to fixing the real problems we had to deal with either. So I
split.

--Henry