Apple and dual monitors

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:26:37 MST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM, James Noble <noblejames at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Jessie Adan Morris <
> jessie at jessieamorris.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 13, 2012 12:00:43 Lonnie Olson wrote:

> > > No, the OP said dual-monitors, not triple. Triple monitors is also
> > > very difficult to find on PC laptops.
> > > So I assumed we were only talking about two screens.  Built-in and 1
> > > external = 2.
> > >
> > > Triple screens (built-in + 2 external) is problematic on most laptops.
> >
> > I think you are still misunderstanding. I believe he wants 2 external and
> > 0 internal for a grand total of 2 screens.
> >
> > It might be possible if you can find a thunderbolt -> DVI adapter or
> > something similar,
> > otherwise internal + one external is going to be your best bet.
> >

> The end goal here is to have 2 external displays that are the same size.
> When you have one display that is a 15inch and the other is a 27 inch
> display it is a hassle dragging windows from one monitor to the next.  Even
> the original example I gave with the USB to DVI adapter may not work
> because of screen resolution.

I looked into this a while ago and even called apple about it.  The only
way to do it, so they say, is with thunderbolt.  Also, the macbook air will
not power two external displays even if you do thunderbolt chaining.  Given
that, I built a hackintosh and am running 3 external monitors because I
*need* dual externals to work efficiently.

--
gs