[OT] Getting your developers good harwdare (Was: Apple and dual monitors)

David Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Feb 13 11:48:59 MST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:

> I thought that Thunderbolt *was* basically a docking station port.  It
> gives access to the PCIE bus, so it could clearly support a docking

Indeed. Now that I read up on that, it seems that this is the case. Apple expects you to get a Thunderbolt monitor, and that monitor provides a special Thunderbolt cable that has a Magsafe power connector to power your laptop too. Then you would hang other peripherals (up to 5?) off your Thunderbotl monitor.

So I guess this is Apple's picture of this world:

    A/C Power Cable <---> Monitor <---> Thunderbolt/Power Cable <---> MacBook

And then of course your Thunderbolt monitor also provides USB ports for non-thunderbolt stuff like mouse/keyboard and HDs.

Pretty cool if you can stomach the $1,000 price tag on the 27" monitor (and I want two of them).

I haven't asked my company to buy me one (or two!), but I bet they would if I asked. :)

--Dave