[OT] Getting your developers good harwdare (Was: Apple and dual monitors)

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:14:35 MST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:

> Personally, I love my quad-core MacBook Pro that my new employer just got me. It's freaking awesome, and I use it all the time at home. Because I like it. And that translates into more value for my employer. More importantly, I know that my employer wants me to have cool hardware, and that's a great culture to attract a great team.
>
> --Dave
>
> P.S. Seriously, MacBook Pro support for dual external monitors is pretty crappy (unless you pay the big bucks with Thunderbolt). And furthermore, what was Apple thinking by *not* providing a docking station port?!

I thought that Thunderbolt *was* basically a docking station port.  It
gives access to the PCIE bus, so it could clearly support a docking
station with an external video card.  In fact, the Thunderbolt
displays seem to be a monitor + docking station in one.  It's a pretty
sweet system, and not technically tied to Apple, either, since the
technology behind the port is Intel-owned.  Wouldn't it be great to
have laptop brand-agnostic docking stations, so you don't have to buy
a new one every time you get a new laptop?

        --Levi