[OT] Getting your developers good harwdare (Was: Apple and dual monitors)

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sun Feb 12 16:48:26 MST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> Tell them no.  There's no business case for spending 2-3x as much on the
> hardware to run most likely the same software (or very, very similar).
> None.  Let me emphasize that: "no business case."

Here's a business case.

Offering your developers hardware they love (whatever the brand) is a great way to attract good talent. If you "save" your business a couple grand by buying a laptop that your developers don't like, you'll probably end up losing that money many times over in lost productivity.

Developer hardware is no place to skimp. It's so cheap compared to other developer incentives.

If a few thousand dollars of savings per developer makes *any* difference to your business, then your business is in serious trouble.

Personally, I love my quad-core MacBook Pro that my new employer just got me. It's freaking awesome, and I use it all the time at home. Because I like it. And that translates into more value for my employer. More importantly, I know that my employer wants me to have cool hardware, and that's a great culture to attract a great team.

--Dave

P.S. Seriously, MacBook Pro support for dual external monitors is pretty crappy (unless you pay the big bucks with Thunderbolt). And furthermore, what was Apple thinking by *not* providing a docking station port?!