Apple and dual monitors

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Sun Feb 12 15:04:30 MST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 1:33 PM, James Noble wrote:

> I have seen that some people on this list use Macs for development. So
> hopefully someone will have done this.  I have some developers that would
> like to use them as well but I don't want to pay for the dual monitors from
> Apple with the Thunderbolt port. As far as I can see the only way to
> connect dual monitors without Thunderbolt is to use the mini to dvi cable
> and then connect another monitor through a usb port. Has anyone either done
> this and been happy with the setup or has anyone come up with a better
> solution?

I have a 15" Macbook Pro plus a $300 costco 32" Vizio 1080P TV.  I use a Moshi display port to HDMI output, and have two screens (if you don't mind one of them being 15", but it is really clear).  The TV runs at 1080P, the laptop I think 1440x900.

There is no flicking or other problems dragging windows between the two.  It's beautiful.  And BIG.  Actually at 1.5 arms lengths distance, its almost too big.  Oh, and HDMI can optionally pump the audio out the TV, which typically sounds better than the laptop speakers.

I think you could easily pick up a 24-36" TV for the $200-$400 range, which would save a bunch vs. a real Apple display.