Tech for Grandmothers?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 22:45:02 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> No actually an iPad probably *is* ideal for this.  The interface is
> fairly easy (I've heard of many people in their 80s that use iPads and
> like them).  Just install the facebook app for her.  Maybe set up e-mail
> too.  If a keyboard is required, maybe a bluetooth keyboard.  An iPad
> certainly doesn't do "everything," or even a lot of things.  But for
> your requirements, facebook and e-mail, it should work extremely  well.
>  As much as it pains me to admit it, Apple's walled garden probably
> suits a lot of older people better than a generic computer.  To them
> it's simply a communications tool, and that's what they'd use it for.
> While I mourn the end of general purpose computing, I really can see why
> the iPad is so appealing to so many people.

The end of general purpose computing?  No, I don't think that's
happening.  We've had special purpose computers for ages.  They're
called video game consoles, and they're even more of a walled garden
than smartphones and tablets.  The fact is, a special purpose computer
can be better at its sole purpose (for the cost, and sometimes in
general) than a general purpose computer.  But general purpose
computers are too incredibly useful to "end" in any real way, even if
more tightly managed/controlled computers end up taking some roles
from our general purpose ones.

       --Levi