Tech for Grandmothers?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:48:19 MST 2012

On 02/10/2012 05:26 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hi Plug,
>
> This has me thinking; Why hasn't anyone come up with a dedicated
> device that could be used for elderly and shut in older folks to
> communicate with their loved ones?  I'm not talking about a tablet
> that can do everything like an iPad or even a nook color, I just mean
> a dedicated device that only does facebook (yeeech), or some other
> similar service.

No actually an iPad probably *is* ideal for this.  The interface is
fairly easy (I've heard of many people in their 80s that use iPads and
like them).  Just install the facebook app for her.  Maybe set up e-mail
too.  If a keyboard is required, maybe a bluetooth keyboard.  An iPad
certainly doesn't do "everything," or even a lot of things.  But for
your requirements, facebook and e-mail, it should work extremely  well.
 As much as it pains me to admit it, Apple's walled garden probably
suits a lot of older people better than a generic computer.  To them
it's simply a communications tool, and that's what they'd use it for.
While I mourn the end of general purpose computing, I really can see why
the iPad is so appealing to so many people.