jQuery Pro?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:10:23 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Jonathan Duncan
<jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> I think this is what happened to many a good front-end developer.  I started on the front-end and did not see any room to grow (this was years ago) and moved into back-end.  It is unfortunate because now front-end developers now need to be dedicated to front-end development.  And I agree 100% that front-end dev work should be paid just as much as back-end devs.

I'm working on an interactive web app as a hobby project, and yeah,
today's front ends are getting pretty sophisticated.  In some ways,
things are easier.  jQuery makes things that used to be hard almost
trivial.  But then you can see openings for new kinds of interaction
in the browser, and those previously impossible things are now
possible but really, really hard to get right, especially if you have
to integrate with a legacy web site or deal with old browsers, broken
proxies, etc.

Anyway, there are now libraries and frameworks for stuff that runs on
the front end in the browser, and although they make things easier,
the space is new and the frameworks are not yet mature and it's sort
of an explosion of cool ideas so that it's difficult to figure out
which will survive in the long term and become the new jQuery that you
can depend on.

It's actually a really interesting platform from a software system
design perspective now, and there are some forward-looking places that
treat it seriously and will pay accordingly, but it's hard to get
companies used to paying peanuts for "web front end" work to realize
that they're dealing with something fundamentally different with
modern web front-ends.