jQuery Pro?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Feb 10 12:18:22 MST 2012

On 10 Feb 2012, at 09:53, Joshua Marsh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 01:25, Jonathan Duncan
> <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com>wrote:
>
>> LOL, I am looking for one too.  If you find one, I will arm wrestle you
>> for him.  :)
>>

> What is the definition of a jQuery pro? Do the number of dollar signs in
> your javascript help?
>
> jmarsh at jmarsh-linux-laptop:editor$ fgrep -r '$' js ../common/js/ | wc -l
> 761
>
> I have a good notion of why they are hard to find. Most of the time when I
> see listings for front-end UI guys with expert skills in jQuery, the are
> offering somewhere around $60K. As a Senior Engineer, I'm making twice
> that. Can I do jQuery? Definitely. Would I like to do it full-time? Sure,
> it's programming like anything else. Would I do it for half my salary? Nope.
>
> So, I work as a Senior Engineer and dabble in the in jQuery, HTML5, and CSS
> when the project needs it or in my free time.

I think this is what happened to many a good front-end developer.  I started on the front-end and did not see any room to grow (this was years ago) and moved into back-end.  It is unfortunate because now front-end developers now need to be dedicated to front-end development.  And I agree 100% that front-end dev work should be paid just as much as back-end devs.