no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Feb 10 12:11:30 MST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:29:54 -0500
"Daniel C." <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't; it was just a surprise to realize that I have experience
> in an area that the TA didn't.

It happens.

I once taught a college level astronomy course. I needed a few quick
credits to round out my semester, so I took a course I know I could
ace: Astronomy for Poets. I.e. not a single equation in the whole
semester. It turned out from an after class discussion that the TA was
in an entirely different field of physics, and had no idea about
astronomy, and not the time to prep the class work. So I did the prep,
handed him the notes, occasionally bailed him out on a question, and got
a guaranteed A+.