no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Doran L. "Fozz" Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Fri Feb 10 11:34:46 MST 2012

On 02/10/2012 10:28 AM, Daniel C. wrote:
> At one point I would have argued that there's
> nothing you can't learn on your own, but since going back to school
> I've realized that having an experienced professional direct your
> learning can be invaluable.

After spending twelve years (off and on, granted) completing my BS in
Computer Science, I can firmly testify that for people in our lines of work,
school may provide a foundation for learning and exposure to abstract theory
that you may or may not be exposed to in the workplace otherwise, but, by and
large, earning an academic degree mostly represents that you're capable of
jumping through figurative hoops, many of which make absolutely no sense
whatsoever. (Whew, that was a long run-on sentence.)

In a way, earning your degree kind of prepares you for the bureaucratic
bullsh*t you're ultimately bound to deal with in the corporate world at some
point or another.

--
Doran L. Barton - Hypermoo Inc. - <fozz at hypermoo.com> - 801-520-9875
Open source consulting, custom development, systems/network administration