no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 10 11:12:04 MST 2012

On 02/09/2012 08:36 PM, Henry Paul wrote:
> First, there is no substitute for experience in a technical field. If
> you know your stuff and can back it up, that's what counts in the long
> run. If you CAN hack it and you're being scrutinized over not having the
> degree, get out and go somewhere that will value you. The other option
> of course is to get a degree I suppose.
>
> In good economic times, education matters most to those doing the hiring
> that have or value it.
One additional benefit of a degree in our present situation of fewer and
fewer students finishing hard science and engineering programs; the
value of a degree obtained today grows in the future as fewer and fewer
people actually finish the degree.  It's your standard barrier-to-entry
sort of market situation.

That assumes that the programs remain difficult and aren't changed to
ensure the institutions can stay open.  In that case, it isn't worth the
paper it's printed on.  I only hope I can finish mine before that happens.

;-Daniel Fussell