no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 10 10:59:05 MST 2012

On 02/09/2012 10:32 AM, Daniel C. wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Steve Alligood<steve at betterlinux.com>  wrote:
>> That's interesting.
>>
>> You find that having no degree still impedes your rise up the ladder?
>>
>> I find this topic fascinating, because I think it is entirely dependent on
>> the shop, often to the shop's detriment.
> I think you also have to take into account the individual employee's
> personality.  I had problems moving up without a degree - and now that
> I'm in school, I fully expect that the things which held me back will
> not be a problem after I graduate.  This is not because the degree
> itself was the problem, but rather that the process of attending
> school is mitigating some of the personality defects I have which have
> prevented me from performing well enough to get promoted.
>
> And - okay, fine, I admit it - I'm also learning some things (maybe a
> few... here and there...) that I wasn't able to teach myself.  It's
> interesting to me that I find it harder to admit that I'm gaining
> knowledge at school than it is to admit that I'm improving my
> interpersonal skills.
>
> -Daniel
Same boat, different day.  It took me getting Cisco and Linux certs
before people would take me serious.  I learned a lot in the process
too, though some of it is vendor specific.  I'm still the same person I
was before though; one that can figure out a solution to a problem.

Now I'm on the loooong trek to finishing that all-so-important degree.
But it feels like I'm learning less than I did with the certs and
working harder to do it, truth be told.  The only thing I can see that
the degree provides is assurance that you can stick through the crap of
a ludicrously large/difficult problem for an extended period of time,
running on nothing but sheer faith that the solution will have future value.

Past graduates of my program have told me they don't use the things they
learned, it only proved to the employer that they could learn; which
seems to support my own conclusion.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell