no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:28:41 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lastly, I learned a great deal finishing my education. It was more than
> just jumping through hoops.

I think that this aspect gets downplayed too much when discussing
college degrees.  At one point I would have argued that there's
nothing you can't learn on your own, but since going back to school
I've realized that having an experienced professional direct your
learning can be invaluable.  There have been a few "wtf" moments - for
example, when I realized that my TA had never actually touched
production code or worked with a professional software development
team - but overall the experience has been positive.

And that's only on the technology side - the improvements I've seen in
my ability to examine a problem critically and communicate my
conclusions would be worth it even if I never took a CSCI class.  I'd
even say that expository writing and business communications should be
"required" study for anyone who wants to be a software professional.
If nothing else, it would help a person demonstrate why they should be
given a promotion instead of the other guy who has a degree.

-Dan