Junior level sysadmin with programming skills

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Thu Feb 9 19:17:39 MST 2012

On 02/09/2012 01:34 PM, Chris Mutchler wrote:
> I would highly recommend any sysadmin looking at this job posting to move
> on without submitting a resume. I worked for Verio for ten years before
> leaving in 2009. It was indeed a good place to work out in the early 2000s,
> but in the last few years it has gone downhill significantly.
>
> The senior management team is awful, they've continued to jump from one
> product buzzword to the next, unable to successfully launch new products
> that customers actually want. Development is stagnant and they consistently
> layoff full-time employees because of failed products.
>
> Specific to the job position listed, the current manager of the SA
> department is a idiot. She has no actual technical experience, and
> delegates responsibilities to underlings who have barely any experience
> themselves. They have an attendance policy that my elementary school
> children don't even have to adhere to. There is no respect between the
> supervisors/manager and the actual working team members. You'll be treated
> like a child, not as a thinking, capable adult.
>
> For the record, I left on great terms in 2009. I was a senior administrator
> and supervisor of the night crew. Most of those people are gone now and
> what remains is barely worth calling an SA team.
>
> My two cents.
While I understand the position in question falls under the development
team and not operations, I must support Chris Mutchler's assessment of
the SA team.

I worked for Chris at the time he was a supervisor of the night crew,
and both he and our team manager at the time, were two of the finest
examples of excellence and leadership I have had the privilege of
working for and associating with throughout my entire career.

I left nearly two years after Chris did, also on good terms, and my
observation was the same. I can't respect team leadership who does not
trust and respect me to do my job. If you are the type of person who
enjoys being micromanaged to death, and have an accounting of every
second of your day questioned for efficiency, then by all means, do apply.

--Henry