Hiring devops and developers

David Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Feb 9 15:09:39 MST 2012

My company, HireVue, has an immediate need for several devops and developer positions. Full time and interns welcome!

* What we do:

    http://hirevue.com/

* Why it's awesome:

   http://new.hirevue.com/nowshowing/

* The unofficial job descriptions:

* Developers:

We're building a new service with Python, Django, and PostgreSQL, hosted on EC2 with S3 for video storage. We're using Git and doing it right, from the ground up. You will have influence over the direction of the software we develop from the very beginning. It's a small team, and we want to keep it that way (no huge company bureaucracy crap). We're preparing a public beta of our brand new service, and we need help building the final set of features, and growing it into the future. We're building to scale. We write lots of unit tests, we use continuous integration, and we value code quality. We have solid project management, and great support from company management.

* Devops:

We take deployment seriously, and we need a small team of people to manage our modern software stack and servers. This includes: Amazon EC2, Nginx, Gunicorn, Postgres, S3, Chef, Git, and a bunch of other stuff. We're still young enough that you will be able to re-tool if needed and heavily influence our direction. We use modern app server management tools that will look great on your resume. We want you to have a melded mindset of both development and operations. Your primary focus will be deploying our software to the cloud, and keeping it available, scalable, and responsive to our users.

You don't need extensive experience with Python or Django to apply. We're looking for smart and excited people, not a laundry list of skills on a resume.

* Perks:

The company culture is exciting. The people here love their jobs, and it shows. Lots of free food. A pool table and ping pong table. Great hardware (brand new quad-core Macbook Pros). We are on the tipping point of explosive growth. We are anticipating a big usage increase in the coming months. This is based on actual customers, not speculation. Getting involved in a company like this at the ground floor is hugely fun. The pay is good. The benefits are good. The people are good.

* Downsides:

You'll have to work with me, which means you'll have to hear about my personal projects, puns, and play ping pong against me. Sorry for that, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought it prudent to warn you.

Send your resume to me off list, and I'll see that it gets to my boss.

--Dave