Junior level sysadmin with programming skills

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Thu Feb 9 14:11:37 MST 2012

On 2/9/12 1:47 PM, Alan Young wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 13:34, Chris Mutchler<chris at leibnizcreations.com>  wrote:
>> Specific to the job position listed, the current manager of the SA
> While I'm not going to comment on the rest of this email, I would like
> to point out that this position is *NOT* with the SA team.  It is with
> the development team in the capacity of making the hardware node and
> container work.  This position would most likely involve some work
> with members of the SA team you would not be under their demesne.
I have never worked for Verio, so take this as it is.

Usually, when a non-admin group hires an admin and has them outside of
the normal admin group, he starts with a lot of hits against him.

1) It often means the regular admin group is unable or unwilling to help
with the project. (lack of resources, not important to their goals, etc)

2) It will be seen as somewhat of a skunkworks project, and getting
assistance from the "regular" team on integration can be an uphill
battle.  Whatever reason caused #1 will continue to cause issues and
roadblocks, possibly all the way up the management chain.

Depending on the situation, you may be basically on your own with some
help from your team, but having to prove yourself and your project to
everyone else in the company.  I did this kind of project once, and it
was a battle all the way, until we pulled off a system that ran much
more efficient, and brought in much higher revenues than the system we
were replacing.  We got lucky, most of these kinds of projects either
don't pan out or don't have quite as easy to measure results.

It can still be a job worth doing, but keep in mind the unique
challenges created by this type of setup.

-Steve