no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:57:27 MST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> Yes, you will. And do you really want to work for such folks? So think
> of it as a bullshit filter.

The flip side of this is that, by not getting a degree, you're cutting
yourself off from working for a lot of places that may (aside from
having a lame HR department) be really good places to work.  Hiring
managers (who are otherwise good people) often think of a degree as a
filter, too - "Sure", they'll say, "you'll run into folks without
degrees who really know their stuff, and we may be cutting off some
good employees who don't have degrees.  But do we really want to hire
such folks?  Think of it as a bullshit filter."

I don't think it's really fair to say that the answer is this clear
cut - getting a degree brings with it a whole slew of positives and
negatives, and turning such a complex and personal issue into a simple
"bullshit filter" isn't really doing the issue (or the job / degree
seeker) justice.

-Dan