no degree impedes climbing the ladder, was Re: mysql issue

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:32:03 MST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com> wrote:
> That's interesting.
>
> You find that having no degree still impedes your rise up the ladder?
>
> I find this topic fascinating, because I think it is entirely dependent on
> the shop, often to the shop's detriment.

I think you also have to take into account the individual employee's
personality.  I had problems moving up without a degree - and now that
I'm in school, I fully expect that the things which held me back will
not be a problem after I graduate.  This is not because the degree
itself was the problem, but rather that the process of attending
school is mitigating some of the personality defects I have which have
prevented me from performing well enough to get promoted.

And - okay, fine, I admit it - I'm also learning some things (maybe a
few... here and there...) that I wasn't able to teach myself.  It's
interesting to me that I find it harder to admit that I'm gaining
knowledge at school than it is to admit that I'm improving my
interpersonal skills.

-Daniel