mysql issue

Jason Van Patten jason at infogenix.com
Wed Feb 8 15:31:44 MST 2012

On 2/8/2012 3:17 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> On 2/8/12 12:24 PM, Jason Van Patten wrote:
>> InnoDB is a little slower
> To some degree, that's a myth.  It may or may not be slower, depending
> on the workload.  I think in general it's faster these days, and scales
> better.
>
> Steve
This is true if the DB is properly designed, however most of the
conversions i've ran from myisam to innodb dramatically and harshly
affect performance until things get fixed. The main reasons are "Select
*" statements in the code, lack of constraints and views, and probably
the biggest cause is allowing null in the column definition and then
trying to run a search on the column.  Most db architects i've worked
with make these mistakes at least once on mysql. Half of them don't
learn and just rely on myisam and a watchdog, So generally i would say
myisam is faster for your novice db admin, but i would agree that if you
know how to do constraints and views properly you will leave myisam in
the dust once you hit the 200k+ record range.