Network Traffic Visualization

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Feb 8 15:04:36 MST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm taking a class on data visualization.  For my final project I plan
> to write a piece of software that will create a visualization of
> network traffic.  Ideally, this will be something that's genuinely
> useful to network admins.  To get started, I've got a few questions:

I would like something that gives me:
* Live view of all traffic in bits/s, bytes/s, packets/s, connections/s
* Filterable by protocol, ip address, tcp/udp port
* Optionally, broken down into categories configured by above filters,
or groups of filters
* Maintain history of said data
* Accept data from either standard pcap or netflow

I know there are many open source tools that provide parts of my
pie-in-the-sky desires, but nothing that does it all.
And closed-source tools that do it all cost lots and lots of money.

--lonnie