mysql issue

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Wed Feb 8 11:43:07 MST 2012

On 2/8/12 11:32 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> My mysql database just shutdown today.
>
> I had to reboot the machine.
>
> Upon reboot I get the following:
>

> * Starting mysql ...
>   * Strange, the socket file already exist in
> "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock"
>   * it will be removed now and re-created by the MySQL server
>   * BUT please make your checks.
>   * Starting mysql (/etc/mysql/my.cnf)
>   * MySQL NOT started (0)
>

> It says MsSQL not started.  But it did start.
> Anybody know what's going on?

I believe that the init script checks the pid file (location varies by
distribution).  I believe that safe_mysqld writes the pid file.

Also, because of what I assume was a hard reboot (MySQL didn't shut down
cleanly), it could take it a while to do crash recovery.  It could be
just fine, but the init script wasn't patient enough waiting for it to
be available.

I would check your MySQL error logs, they may have some clues.  They're
probably in /var/log/mysql.

Are you primarily using InnoDB or MyISAM?

Steve