vonage chaffing

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:23:55 MST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com>wrote:

> Many of the voip companies are still wiggling out of many of the
> traditional telco taxes by classifying themselves as different mediums.
>  MagicJack will sooner or later have to pay the taxes, as will NetTalk.  As
> more and more customers bail on the traditional telco and go to VoIP, the
> government will loose more revenue and close the loopholes that allow VoIP
> companies to not pay.
>
> For example, Vonage got the government attention several years back and
> had to add the taxes, then did what many telcos do and started adding
> random fees to make a little more profit and trying to hide it in the list
> of taxes.  Ooma got hit about 18 months ago, and to their credit have only
> charged the actual taxes they have to pay, and those only to new customers.
>  They have kept their word on original customers, and have done the minimum
> with new customer in order to keep their business plan viable.  I
> appreciate that, and will continue to do business with them as long as they
> continue to give a good service for a great price and act honorably.  I
> could do (and have done) a lot worse.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate Ooma's policy of only charging taxes
and fees, not trying to pocket additional and covering it as a "fee". I
also have heard great things about them on and off this thread. I only
mentioned the $4/mo because it's not truly "free". I would want all the
facts before making a purchase, so I'm trying to provide any facts I'm
aware of here in case it helps anyone looking at making a purchase.

-Eric