Linux Desktops slow?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Feb 3 22:35:23 MST 2012

On 2/3/2012 9:22 PM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> Try disabling desktop effects.
> Windows XP didn't really have many on by default--so a better
> comparison would be w/o the eye candy enabled.
I've actually looked at that.  With Ubuntu 10.04 it was a lot more
responsive in the old-style desktop instead of Unity.  Now they have
Unity required, though I see now they have a Unity-2D at least.  I may
try Ubuntu with kubuntu-desktop installed and just get rid of Unity
altogether just to see if it performs better.  Then I might try similar
in Fedora Core to give it a fair shake as well.  Guess we'll see.

-Tod Hansmann