Ethernet Pause Frame functionality

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Fri Feb 3 21:17:25 MST 2012

Thus said Tod Hansmann on Fri, 03 Feb 2012 20:44:49 MST:

> So my theory and thus the question  is, if we just replaced the 8-port
> switch with a switch that didn't have any 802.3x Ethernet Flow Control
> support, would pause frames basically  be ignored throughout the whole
> system, and the server could blast  out to any clients that could keep
> up as fast as it wanted?

You said it was ``smart'' but you  didn't mention the brand. What is the
model of  the 8-port  switch? It's  more likely that  you need  a better
switch. What are the specs on it? How many PPS can it handle?

If the  documentation doesn't tell  you the performance that  the switch
can deliver, then it's likely you need a better one.

If  you are  flooding the  switch,  even from  a single  server to  many
clients, and  it is actually  the switch that  is sending out  the pause
frames, then that could potentially block all clients.

Andy