vonage chaffing

Chris Wood chris at tincreek.com
Fri Feb 3 19:33:59 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:

> I've been watching my Vonage bill creep up to my old Qweerst bill, and
> it's starting to bug me.
>
> I've scoffed at MagicJack before, but the price is staring to look
> nice.  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Most of the time we use
> cheap cell, but 911 service (coupled with my wife never remembering to
> charge her phone), has kept me from biting the bullet and dumping the
> landline-ish.
>
> Thoughts?  Opinions?  Snide and/or snarky remarks?

I've had the same gripe.  I started out really low -- something like
$11/mon.  Then they lost their lawsuit and things started their way up.
When I hit about $27, I had flash backs to my Qwest days.  I looked at
Vonage's website about 4 months ago and they had a rate back in the teens
and I had to get somebody on the phone (or was it chat?) and get them to
switch my account to that plan -- you can't do it through their site for
that specific plan.  I'm now at about $17/mon after taxes.

We don't use our home phone number much, but we can't port it to Google
Voice and we don't want to change numbers and I'm not thrilled about
everybody having my cell #.  We even have our Vonage forwarded to our
cell.  It is convenient to pick up a home phone and call out on the vonage
instead of cell.

I've been looking at porting my vonage number to
http://www.callcentric.com/where it is just a couple of bucks a month
and you pay for usage (pay per
call plan).  When I finally get around to doing this, I will unlock my
vonage device to use it with callcentric.  I plan to just forward calls to
the cell phone so the home phones don't ring and wake the baby.  In the
end, I end up getting to keep the home phone number plus I can use the home
phones for outbound calls if I want and it is probably under $5 a month.  I
researched a few other cheap companies like this and ended up bookmarking
this one when I did the research a couple of months ago.  Hopefully my
research is still good.

If I do this, then I save enough money a month to better justify my Spotify
subscription.  :)