suggestions for all-in-one

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 3 16:28:58 MST 2012

On 02/01/2012 07:31 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 02:32 PM, Jessie Adan Morris wrote:
>> I have to give my vote to HP as well. Especially their laser printers. Very
>> high quality, excellent Linux support, and toner is typically cheaper than
>> most other manufacturers (in my experience it has been, anyway).
> HP is hit and miss these days.  I just bought an OfficeJet 4500
> all-in-one and it was a lemon.  Reading online, a lot of other people
> have had the same experience with it.  The firmware is buggy and the
> unit will completely crash and hang.  The day I took it back to the
> store even a power cycle couldn't fix it.  It would boot up and promptly
> hang.
>
> I've heard good things about the OfficeJet 7500, though.

I heard rumor they were going to start using windows embedded for some
of their firmwares.  I think it was about the time of the WebOS debacle,
so it might have just been snide conjecture.

I can tell you that we have a lot of problems with various applications
(like Word) that do funky stuff with their postscript output causing
problems for the LaserJets.  Also, the postscript support is emulated,
not a full Adobe RIP.  Masked layers in particular seem to confuse the
RIP.  Sometimes ghostscript can flatten it, sometimes it just bloats the
file and causes the same problems.  I haven't found a good solution yet.

     And the Universal Print Drivers are crap; they want to talk
directly to the printer.  Maybe the driver output would be better if
they were allowed to talk directly to the printer and could switch modes
to something better suited, but we force everything through a print
server, so that doesn't work.

Other than that though, I like the HP's.

;-Daniel Fussell