suggestions for all-in-one

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Feb 3 09:49:03 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Brett Rasmussen <brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
> wrote:

> All, thanks much for your suggestions.
>
> I don't use or research printers very often, so I don't really know the
> whole state of affairs.  Hence a couple of what might seem obvious
> questions:
>
> It seems to be my experience that people with inkjet printers are always
> buying new cartridges, and that laser printers are more expensive per
> cartridge but they last a lot longer.

Generally true, but not always.  HP (and maybe others) have made their
toner cartridges "smart" and they refuse to print well before the page
quality even begins to degrade.  If you're a print quality purist, that's
great, if you're (I'm) a cheapskate, it's really annoying.  Supposedly
there are simple hacks that work around that, but I've never tried them.

Also, laser printers seem to pump out a lot more pages per minute than
> inkjets.

I haven't used an injket in years because I hate them all with a fiery
burning passion.  But it used to be the case that most laser printers had a
longer startup time than most inkjet printers.  Some manufacturers are
claiming they don't do that any more, but I don't believe them yet.

> Dale's got a Brother all-in-one that's inkjet, and Henry's dad has a
> Brother laser printer, both of which work well wirelessly, so it seems a
> Brother that combines the two would likely work just fine.  Anyone else
> have any specific models (HP or Brother or whatever) that they've just
> loved and think I should look into?

I have an HP Color LaserJet 2840.  I've had it for several years, and
printing and scanning work great with Linux.  I haven't even tried the fax
capability, but it is supposed to work.  Even though  the size, noise, and
"smart" cartridges give me a rash, I have to admit it has been a solid,
reliable, high-quality all-in-one.  It's old enough it only has wired
network, so it's probably not an option for you unless you want to add a
wireless AP.  But I think HP still makes some pretty good stuff, especially
if you buy their higher duty-cycle business models.   I keep hearing that
their consumer-oriented stuff has gone way downhill since the IIIp my
mother-in-law has been happily using for 20 years.

FWIW,
Barry