Tomax 411?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:33:15 MST 2012

On 02/01/2012 11:57 AM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> On Tomax, google is your friend and found this post (by me):
> http://plug.org/pipermail/plug/2011-May/025863.html
>
>> PLUG has no money.  The only thing we'd have to worry about is an injunction.
>> If someone decides to get a court injunction to shut down part of the
>> website, then so be it.
> PLUG isn't an organization. Something that people should be aware of.
> Volunteers take on the responsibility of the group. It is, in the strictest
> legal definition, a website and mailing list owned by private individuals.
> Those private individuals carry any liability.

Even given the risk, I think this is a really good idea.  Personally, I
think a closed membership of contributors and viewers falls well under
protections of free speech.  A serious business asks an interview
candidate for references; I don't see any problem with a system that
makes the reverse possible as well.

I once worked at a place where I had to instant message the team lead
for permission to take a scheduled break, or even just to go to the
bathroom.  After making the request, it was up to the whim of the lead
to decide if and when the request would be granted.  I wish I knew what
the company was really like before I started there.

On the flip side, I know of a place that has a nice quarterly-ish
release schedule for their product, and their development team is
(reportedly) so easy going that the owner often comes in and says
something like, "Stop whatever you're doing, we're going to a movie."
The average day consists of checking email and bug reports, play some
intra-office Starcraft, fix a bug, more Starcraft, etc.  They do have
some crunch times around deployment when everyone is required to be
there in the middle of the night for last minute fixes.  I imagine the
(very informal) setting is to balance that out.  But I've never been on
a team like that and I don't think I'd fit in there; Starcraft just
isn't my thing.  But I'm sure someone else might benefit from that
information.

;-Daniel Fussell