suggestions for all-in-one

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Wed Feb 1 19:58:56 MST 2012

On 02/01/2012 02:21 PM, Brett Rasmussen wrote:
> All,
> I'm wanting to buy a wireless laser printer-scanner-copier that works with
> no headaches in linux (currently running ubuntu w/kde).  I'm in a new
> place, and the all-in-one pretty much has to be in a storage closet where I
> can't run a cable (or at least really, really don't want to), so wireless
> printing and scanning are musts.  I'm thinking about the Brother MFC-7860DW
> which gets good reviews on Amazon, but I don't know how the linux support
> is.
>
> Here are my two questions for you guys:
>    a) Does anyone have any experience with the Brother MFC-7860DW and does
> it work well wirelessly w/linux?
>    b) Does anyone have any experience with any other wireless laser
> all-in-one that has worked well for them with linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Brother is good for reliability and has decent Linux support. My dad has
an older Brother laser MFC that didn't have very good drivers for Linux
- at least I haven't been able to get all of the functions to work on
it. He has since bought a newer Brother desktop laser and I have a
wireless model that both work well in Linux right out of the box. In
fact my HL-2170w is easier to setup in Ubuntu than it is in Windows 7.

I would check out the Brother support site if you need specific
information. They usually have a decent list of firmware and drivers for
download.

--Henry