User group downturn?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:54:23 MST 2012

On 12/03/2012 03:38 PM, Daniel Fussell wrote:
> That trend has only strengthened since you left.  I blame Web 2.0 (with
> maybe a hint of iPhone/smartphone).  It has changed the course of those
> who would have become thoughtful, introverted geeks, and made them into
> superficial, narcissistic dweebs instead by providing the false sense of
> a social life.

Could be.  I definitely have a social life, though, as evidenced by my
many posts to PLUG.  Also ViM is better than Emacs.

> Or it could just be that the Linux and Open Source movements have become
> so successful, that the young are trained and employed long before they
> hit college.  I doubt this is the case though, as a long-time friend of
> mine from the BBS days recently told me his best programming candidates
> take one look at the company's programming litmus test and say, "I just
> google till I find an answer, and then copy and paste it."

Could be.  I also had a hard time finding Windows admin help as well as
Linux.

As for Linux, I found that the only real experience BYU students seemed
to have was what they were forced to do for classes.  Whether that be
just programming in CS 240 or an IT class where they set up a LAMP
server.  But very few of them did anything with Linux outside of class.
 Even students who were experienced with Windows didn't seem to really
have explored the OS at all.  Few knew what regedit was.

The thing about web 2.0 is there has to be talent out there creating the
stuff to begin with.  But it's doubtful I could have afforded that kind
of talent!  Though I did manage to afford Justin Hileman as a student
employee for a short while.

> "Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs will start thinking and
> the people will stop."

Yeah the dream of a computer that programs itself just might be a
reality some day.  Well programs itself or cheap chinese and indian
programmers do it.  Same difference.