User group downturn?

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sun Dec 2 22:11:06 MST 2012

On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Jima wrote:

> Most of the links I've checked appear to follow the same marked
> downward trend.  A little sad, but nice to know it's not just us.

As proposed in an earlier thread, I suspect this is just the same life cycle we've seen for all new technologies. Made me think of the bay area PC users group to which Steve Jobs and Wozniak brought the first Apple computer.

You don't see many vibrant PC users groups anymore. And I think we all know why.

The question remains for me: Is there still a desire for like-minded computer-using people to get together in person on a regular basis to discuss and learn? I am having a hard time slicing the Venn diagram of people and interests in such a way that creates something with wide enough appeal to be well attended and valuable.

--Dave