User group downturn?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Sun Dec 2 13:29:35 MST 2012

On 2012-12-02 09:48, Andy Bradford wrote:
> Thus said Michael Torrie on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 20:17:04 -0700:
>
>> One mailing  list I'm  on that  has never slacked  in activity  is the
>> python mailing list. If anything it's more busy than before.
>
> Which list  do you  mean? This  clearly shows  that python  mailing list
> participation is also on the downturn:
>
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

  Dang.  Dave and I apparently should have thought of gmane; it would
have saved us both a decent amount of effort:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.provo.plug

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.linux.tclug

  They seem to match up well with both Dave's and my graphs (to remind):

http://thesmithfam.org/images/plug-stats.png

http://jima.tk/201212/tclug-stats.png

  Extrapolating from those group names, we find:

http://dir.gmane.org/search.php?match=gmane.org.user-groups.linux

http://dir.gmane.org/search.php?match=gmane.user-groups.linux

  Most of the links I've checked appear to follow the same marked
downward trend.  A little sad, but nice to know it's not just us.

      Jima