User group downturn?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Sun Dec 2 09:07:50 MST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
>
>> I think there's a lot to that.  It seems that the programming language
>> groups are still going pretty strong.
>
> That has not been my observation. UtahJS, Utah Python, and URUG all seem to generate only moderate list traffic and equally moderate meeting attendance, compared with the PLUG of yesteryear (early 2000's). Admittedly, I haven't been paying attention *too* closely.
>
> However, it does seem that monthly lunch events are gaining popularity. Maybe?
>
> I agree that the future of technical socialization is definitely in the "let's build stuff" category, as it used to be with Linux (i.e., a prerequisite to using Linux used to be a desire to build something, not just use something).
>
> I've been thinking about this a little more than usual because my current employment situation is amenable to doing "something cool" in this space. There are budget and facilities available. I'm just trying to think of a good vehicle for doing "something cool".
>
> Some ideas that have occurred to me:
>
>  - Lecture series with big name guests
>    (think national recognition)

When I attended BYU UUG, I recall ESR coming to visit us, (yes, to
*BYU*--if you can imagine that from him!).
That is also where I met Sasha Pachev (the original MySQL dev) with
whom I later became good friends and worked with for MySQL.

Now days, it doesn't seem like there really is a need for "rockstar"
OSS figureheads--since OSS has matured and become very much
mainstream--it's no longer a garage movement still trying to break out
into common business use.

That being said, having specific project leaders visit is still likely
to draw a bigger crowd.