User group downturn?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 23:08:46 MST 2012

On 12/01/2012 09:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
>> I think there's a lot to that.  It seems that the programming
>> language groups are still going pretty strong.
> That has not been my observation. UtahJS, Utah Python, and URUG all
> seem to generate only moderate list traffic and equally moderate
> meeting attendance, compared with the PLUG of yesteryear (early
> 2000's). Admittedly, I haven't been paying attention *too* closely.

The local ones maybe.  The world-wide ones (python mailing list comes to
mind, probably ruby too, and IRC) are still going strong and get lots of
traffic.

> However, it does seem that monthly lunch events are gaining
> popularity. Maybe?

I may be interested in participating in more plug meetings through some
kind of webcast, like google+ or something.  I obviously can't make the
meetings in Provo anymore since I'm not even in the US now.  There have
been a couple of presentations I'd have loved to have seen over the last
few months.

> I agree that the future of technical socialization is definitely in
> the "let's build stuff" category, as it used to be with Linux (i.e.,
> a prerequisite to using Linux used to be a desire to build something,
> not just use something).
>
> I've been thinking about this a little more than usual because my
> current employment situation is amenable to doing "something cool" in
> this space. There are budget and facilities available. I'm just
> trying to think of a good vehicle for doing "something cool".
>
> Some ideas that have occurred to me:
>
> - Lecture series with big name guests (think national recognition)
>
> - A developer-centric group with broader subject matter than a
> particular language or OS (i.e., web dev or embedded dev or mobile
> dev)

Sure, but there are already developer-centric resources available on a
wider basis.   There are forums galore for things like django, ruby on
rails, etc.  I joined the defunct Utah Asterisk group a few years ago,
but I'm far better off just checking in with the official projects'
forums or mailing lists.  Maybe I'm missing the point you are making though.

> - A bunch of old timers sitting around eating chinese talking about
> the glory days

Yay for BYU CS Sysadmin reunions!