User group downturn?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 23:00:00 MST 2012

On 12/01/2012 08:34 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> On 12/1/12 8:17 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> One mailing list I'm on that has never slacked in activity is the python
>> mailing list.  If anything it's more busy than before.  However it's a
>> combination of mediums.  There is old-school NNTP, the mailing list, and
>> various web frontends out there, all feeding to the same source.  I
>> really like that idea a lot.
>
> What software do they use?

I think it's just NNTP with an SMTP gateway. Then other sites like
google groups, and other nntp sites pick it up.  That said the signal to
noise ratio coming from google goups is very poor indeed.  Most list
people block it.  I'd say most of the active list participants are still
NNTP and e-mail.

As for web forums that support smtp as well as the web, I'm not sure
what's available.  If it were easy to deploy and maintain, I'd be in
favor of it on plug.org.  provided the nested view is preserved.  (yeah
I'm old-fashioned that way)