User group downturn?

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Dec 1 21:05:47 MST 2012

On Dec 1, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:

> I think there's a lot to that.  It seems that the programming language
> groups are still going pretty strong.

That has not been my observation. UtahJS, Utah Python, and URUG all seem to generate only moderate list traffic and equally moderate meeting attendance, compared with the PLUG of yesteryear (early 2000's). Admittedly, I haven't been paying attention *too* closely.

However, it does seem that monthly lunch events are gaining popularity. Maybe?

I agree that the future of technical socialization is definitely in the "let's build stuff" category, as it used to be with Linux (i.e., a prerequisite to using Linux used to be a desire to build something, not just use something).

I've been thinking about this a little more than usual because my current employment situation is amenable to doing "something cool" in this space. There are budget and facilities available. I'm just trying to think of a good vehicle for doing "something cool".

Some ideas that have occurred to me:

 - Lecture series with big name guests
   (think national recognition)

 - A developer-centric group with broader subject matter than a particular language or OS
   (i.e., web dev or embedded dev or mobile dev)

 - A bunch of old timers sitting around eating chinese talking about the glory days

 - A bunch of youngsters sitting around complaining about the old timers

--Dave