User group downturn?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:17:04 MST 2012

On 12/01/2012 08:12 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> - People are moving to other mediums.  Such as web forums, IRC, Twitter.

One mailing list I'm on that has never slacked in activity is the python
mailing list.  If anything it's more busy than before.  However it's a
combination of mediums.  There is old-school NNTP, the mailing list, and
various web frontends out there, all feeding to the same source.  I
really like that idea a lot.  But I guess any system has to have
critical mass.  Even if we set up a linked web forum for plug, is our
usership enough to warrant it and generate traffic there?  Hard to say.

The BYU UUG mailing list has maybe one message a month on it these days,
so it's dying too.